OBS: Du er nu offline

Working in Denmark living in your home country

It is possible to live in another EU or EEA country and at the same time work in Denmark, but there are things that you need to be aware of.

If you work in Denmark while you have an address in your home country, you are a Cross border commuter and have special rights and challenges.

You can read more about Cross border commuters in English

Tax and the identification number

You can get a so-called tax identification number (Skate CPR) relatively easily.

Just follow this guide, which is in Danish, English, German, Polish, Lithuanian and Rumanian. You must attach an employment contract from the employer.


The special yellow card

When you get a tax identification number you can also get a special health card (yellow card) and a blue EU card. You can apply for the card through this English language website. You must attach an employment contract from the employer.


When you receive a special yellow card, you will also receive a form called E106 to be handed over to the home health authorities. In Poland it is NFZ, so you do not have to pay health insurance in Poland, and then it is Denmark that pays your sick expenses, as long as you work in Denmark. 

If you do not get it delivered then you cannot prove that it is Denmark that has to pay, and then you risk that you have to pay yourself.

Illness and injury at work

If you are injured at work, or fall ill while working in Denmark, you follow the Danish sickness benefit rules. BJMF has hired two social workers to help our members in case of illness and injury.

You are not assigned a doctor on the special health card, so you have to choose a doctor yourself when you need it. It is important that you obtain a doctor's statements about your work injury in writing, either a Danish or a doctor from your home country, if you are to apply for work injury compensation. 

You can read more about that here:
English version 
Italian version
Lithuanian version 
Spanish version
Polish version

Unemployment benefits

You can only receive Danish unemployment benefits if you have an address in Denmark. We do not know the rules for unemployment benefits outside Denmark, but we encourage you to investigate if you can receive unemployment benefits in your home country if you lose your job in Denmark.

You can enroll in A-kasse and earn the right to unemployment benefits as a border crossing, but you cannot get Danish unemployment benefits. You have to move to Denmark to get Danish unemployment benefit.