3F and EU
It is time workers get a fair deal in the EU
The EU and the European single market have contributed with more than half a million jobs in Denmark, greater prosperity and peace throughout Europe – as well as in Denmark. However, for many years there has been remarkably little focus on securing better conditions for the people who make up most of the EU – the workers.
3F - United Federation of Workers in Denmark is working to ensure, that the European single market improves conditions for workers and not only for businesses and industry. Unfortunately, free movement of labour often results in pressure on wages and working conditions on roads and building sites, and in hotels, greenhouses, farms, and factories. It is about time that ordinary wage earners can feel that the EU is working for them rather than against them. We need effective and concrete solutions, and we need them now.
For the European solutions to work, they must respect the Danish collective bargaining model and the role played by the social partners. 3F is working on ensuring that the developments in the European single market are rooted in the fact that our rights as workers and as trade unions have the same status as those of businesses. Based on the principle that market profits do not get precedence over human rights and welfare. And on the principle that the free movement of workers and services happens under fair conditions.
3F wants an EU that is fair for workers, fair for the community and fair for the national labour market models. Put simply – 3F is working to ensure that the EU is fair for all.
In pursuing an EU which is fair for all, 3F established an EU lobby office in Brussels as the first Danish trade union in December 2018. 3F is working on influencing EU decision making from our head office in Copenhagen and from our EU office in Brussels.
In Copenhagen, 3F works closely with the FH –Danish Trade Union Confederation, other Danish trade unions and social partners, the Danish Government and Parliament and civil society.
In Brussels, 3F is in close contact with the EU institutions, the European trade union movement, especially the six European Trade Union Federations of which 3F are members of, the Danish Representation to the EU and relevant Brussels-based stakeholders.
- Peter Kaae Holm, politically responsible for EU-affairs in 3F: firstname.lastname@example.org / + 45 889 20258&
- Nadja Abelgren Olsen, head of EU-affairs: Nadja.email@example.com / +45 88 92 03 51
- Nadia Deis, senior consultant: Nadia.firstname.lastname@example.org / 0032 474 981 578
- Elisabeth Tosti Nielsen, senior consultant: email@example.com / +32 472 191 691
- Marie Vergo, assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org / +32 473 133 469
3F’s six European trade union federations
- EFBWW (European Federation of Building and Woodworkers)
- EFFAT (European Federation of Food, Agriculture and Tourism Trade Unions)
- IndustriAll (European Federation for Industry and Manufacturing workers)
- EPSU (European Federation of Public Service Unions)
- ETF (European Transport Workers’ Federation)
- UNI-EUROPA (European trade union federation for services and communication)
Want to know more? Here is our recent publications?